Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Collector vs. Accumulator

I read an interesting article a while ago which compared two types of people, collectors and accumulators.   Anyone who knows me knows that I have many collections, hockey cards being number one on that list.  But after reading the article, I realized that I am an accumulator and not necessarily a collector.

I don't think it's a bad thing.  It is frustrating as space disappears in the house due to my gathering skills but many of my things have investment potential and some have paid off nicely.  Other things have nostalgic value, although I take that to an extreme sometimes.  Give me a call if you'd like to flip through my scribblers from Grade 3... I still have them.

Focus is the key.  Finding the time to sell off or trade or even toss these things takes time.  I wish I had enough time.  Too often it's one thing at a time... one piece every week or so.  But that won't cut it.  I've decided to focus my efforts.  It will take time.  I've started by giving large boxes of older commons to some local kids.  My decision is made.  Now I just need to continue following through.

No comments: