Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Unwanted

If you're reading this, more than likely, you're a card collector. But what do you do when your collection contains cards which you don't collect?

We all enjoy collecting certain players, teams, and sets. Through trades and eBay it's easy to accumulate a very impressive collection of things we want. However, when we break open packs and boxes, quite often we end up with jersey cards and autographs of players which we don't collect. Sometimes, this is a good thing. You open a pack and you've got a keeper for your personal collection. It's a rare occurrence but it's an awesome feeling.



Unfortunately, more often than not, when we break open boxes, we end up with a lot of cards like these:



The question is... What do I do with these? There are few collectors who collect the no name of the NHL. The odd person needs one of these cards for a certain set and the rare person collects these players. But no one bids on these cards on eBay. No one wants these cards in trade. Do kids even want these players? They sit in a shoebox in your collectibles room and they take up space. So what do you do with these cards? As a collector it's impossible to throw them away. What do you do?

Thoughts?

14 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

you send them to me.....


no? well, uh... usually you can find a team collector. They are always happy to receive them.

B. Wags said...

I like the send them to me, idea. ; )

Mark Aubrey said...

I don't know. I've never pulled a hit.

TheRealDFG said...

Not to copy what was already said but, you give them to me and allow me the difficult task to decide their fate rather than bear the burden to eliminate them on your own. I will bear your pain. I am that kind of person.

Sal said...

You can send me the Lemieux autograph if you like. I know that I'd like it. I don't have anything signed by Mario.

PatsCards said...

Buy it now on Sportsbuy. They have no listing fees and your listing could last until it sells.

Christian Lashade said...

I'll trade you for the Poti and Hossa...what teams or players do you collect?

TheIronLung said...

Thanks for the comments. Good for some laughs too.

As for the Poti and Hossa, I'm a Habs collector mainly

Christian Lashade said...

well Iron lung, i am a super collector of the New York Rangers obviously (past and present) ...you want to work out a larger trade? Habs for Rangers? what's your email? let's take this offline

TheIronLung said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Casey said...

Whenever I pull a jersey card, I have no idea what to do with it. I loathe them, no matter the player. 9 times out of 10, they just collect dust and I eventually give them away. I had a beautiful Gonchar stick/jersey card from a while back that I just now finally gave away. The thing holds zero value to me, wouldn't be worth the time/effort on ebay, and no one in my area really collects hockey.

I have a mini stack of autos that I have no clue what to do with.

As an aside, I like your blog and am adding it to my blog roll. Check out mine if you have a moment: www.fightstrap.com

TheIronLung said...

Thanks. You've got a cool site yourself.
Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

i just sold a lot of 50 or so of these cards for $80 on ebay

Unknown said...

walk around and hand em out to people in your area. Take em to a hospital, they usually have a kids ward... Or do wat I do. Save em for a child within your family. They gotta learn how to handle cards with something. :)