Wednesday, August 22, 2012

1,000 Point NHL Player Autographs - #65 Denis Potvin

I never realized how good Denis Potvin was until I started writing this post.

I knew he was good and won 4 Stanley Cups with New York. But in the grand scheme, he was a New York Islander and I was a Montreal fan as a child and I just never paid any attention to his statistics.

Interestingly enough, Denis Potvin was drafted first overall in the 1973 NHL Amateur Draft by the N.Y. Islanders, but within moments, Montreal Canadiens GM Sam Pollock tried to trade for him. Obviously, the offer was denied but history might have been much different otherwise.

Denis Potvin ranks 65th all-time in NHL points with 1,052 (310 goals, 742 assists) in 1,060 games all for the New York Islanders between 1973 and 1988. A defenseman scoring almost a point per game over his career is impressive. In addition he scored over 30 goals in a season three times and even passed the 100 point plateau in a season in 1978-79.



Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1991, Potvin, sporting his trademark helmet, is a great addition to any collection.

From 2007-08 Upper Deck The Cup comes this Cup Enshrinements hard-signed autograph. In addition, his 2006-07 Upper Deck Parkhurst hard-signed signature completes my collection of Denis Potvin autographs.


1 comment:

Sébastian Hell said...

Nice!

Yeah, I often forget about him too, but many consider him better on the all-time list than Ray Bourque, and as a Habs fan, I'm sure you realize what that implies!

I'm waiting on TTMs from him, I hope I get them so I can post about him as well.