Sunday, December 23, 2012

1,000 Point NHL Player Autographs - #23 Mike Modano

The all-time leading goal-scorer and points leader amongst American-born players in NHL history.

Although he's not eligible for induction to the Hockey Hall of Fame until 2014, that fact alone makes Mike Modano a guarantee for the HHOF.

Modano was drafted 1st overall by the Minnesota North Stars in 1988 and at the time of his retirement, was the last active player in the NHL who had played for the North Stars. He won the Stanley Cup in 1999 as a member of the Dallas Stars.

With 1,374 points (561 goals, 813 assists) in 1,499 games, Modano had his best years in the early 1990's including two 93-point seasons and one season in which he scored 50 goals.




I've been lucky enough to pull a few Mike Modano cards during my collecting career. From 2007-08 In The Game Ultimate comes an Ultimate Auto Silver /30 of Modano and from 2006-07 Upper Deck Sweet Shot comes a nice Signatures Shots autograph.

But the most memorable Mike Modano autograph in my collection was pulled in February 2001. I had just returned from a vacation in the Dominican Republic. It was a typical Canadian snow storm and I got in my car to head home but needed to stop at a gas station first. It was late at night and I bought a pack of hockey cards not expecting too much. Shockingly, I pulled a Certified Autograph Issue 2000-01 Topps Stars hard-signed auto of Mike Modano. It was the highlight of my trip!

No comments: