Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Secret Collecting?

As a player collector, you've got a choice.

Do you collect a player in secret? Do you collect a player and let the world know?

I have four player collections. For the most part, I like to keep two of them public and two of them relatively private.

Keeping a player collection private means that other collectors may have less knowledge about a young up-and-coming player. It also means that you don't have to worry as much about someone else holding a card for ransom as they know you really desire it.

On the other hand, keeping a collection private means that you have less help. The card collecting community helps to create a lot of friendships between collectors. When your player is pulled by another collector, the more who know, the more the chance is that you'll get an unsolicited note to help you add another card to your collection.

What do you do? I see the pros and cons... so I play both sides.

5 comments:

Paul said...

I've just recently started one player collection, Jimmy Howard, and it's public because the main reason I started was my blog. It gives me something to blog about whenever I add to the collection.

I think public is the way to go, but that's just me.

Sébastian Hell said...

I also say ''public''.

If anything, if someone has an amazing, rare 1/1 card of your player and they're hoarding it, remember: that person will die, and those who inherit the card may not want anything to do with it anyway.

The joys you get from other collectors helping out by far outweighs the negatives, especially if Ebay isn't your main hobby marketplace.

TheIronLung said...

Anyone held a card for ransom on either of you yet?

Sébastian Hell said...

Yes for me, but considering the two guys I collect the most are Roy and Sakic, I'm not even close to completing, as new stuff keeps appearing every month despite their being retired - so I have other fish to fry.

RGM said...

I have two major collections - Carey Price and Josh Gorges - and I'm happy to have them both public. It helps to establish myself as a guy--in the case of Gorges "the guy"--that people know they can trade their pulls to if they bust out a card of that player.
With Price, there are so many cards out there and so many collectors (though fewer in recent months, those who remain are still as die-hard as ever) that it's impossible to get every card anyways. If I have something a guy wants for his Price, great; if not, no big deal.
With Gorges, I'm pretty much the only serious collector out there. There are some others who are starting to collect his cards now that he's getting more attention in Montreal, but I've been fortunate to know the right people in the right places to ensure that I've got the best PC out there. I haven't seen any cards held hostage, and I've got most of my collection at very fair prices.

This may not always be the case, but at the end of the day, what's the point of putting together an awesome collection that you're really proud of but afraid to show it off?